Gluten Free savoury ras el hanout and roasted squash muffins

Savoury muffin recipe

I had a beautiful crown squash in the veg box last week which I roasted as usual at the weekend. I used most of it in a salad for lunch at work but had a little bit left over and was pondering what to make with it when I was inspired by my dream procrastination activity - Instagram.

Savoury muffin recipe

I don't make savoury muffins any where near as much as I would like (they are particularly good for on the run breakfasts) but when I do they tend to bit a little bit on the unhealthy side with lots of cheese and butter involved (or I make sweet ones instead like these, also with pumpkin). So I wanted to mix things up a bit with these, make them gluten free and omit the oil/butter/cheese entirely.

I plumped for a slightly spicy, Moroccan inspired recipe, using ras el hanout spice blend and cranberries and I have to say I am pretty darn happy with the result! These are really different - the sweetness of the squash and raisins is perfectly balanced by the nutty savoury muffin mix. Whip up a batch this weekend and you'll have breakfast sorted all week long!

Savoury muffin recipe

Gluten Free savoury ras el hanout and roasted squash muffins

Makes 10 medium sized muffins

Ingredients

1 cup buckwheat flour
1/3 cup cornflour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ras el hanout
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 cup yoghurt
3 eggs
Juice of half a lemon
200g roasted squash
1/3 raisins

Method

Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Line a muffin tin with muffin cases or greaseproof paper.

Sift together the buckwheat flour, corn flour, baking powder and all the spices and salt, mix in the ground flax seeds. In a separate bowl mix together the yoghurt, eggs and lemon juice. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and start to mix in a few quick clean figure of 8 actions, stopping when half mixed. Chop the roasted squash up into small chunks and add to the mixture along with the raisins. Finish mixing until the mixture just comes together.

Spoon 2 tbsp into the muffin cases, this mixture should make approx 10 small muffins. Pop into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a cooling rack before storing in an airtight container.



0 comments:

Post a Comment