Morning Toast for January

Savoury breakfast toasts
I'm really not a morning person. However much I try and get up early, thinking it will make me a better person, get more done, not feel like a rushed mess every morning when I leave for work, my best intentions just never work out! So often all my best laid plans go down the drain with a few too many snoozes of the alarm... Trying to change the habit of a lifetime in January is probably not the best idea!

Anyhow, despite having far less time in the morning than I'd like to I do always try and squeeze in some breakfast every day, otherwise I'm even more of a grumpy tired mess than I am usually! Breakfast is one of my favourite meals so finding recipes that can make it more exciting than a bowl of porridge/museli/granola during the week is my perpetual quest. Not to mention the fact that I am always a savoury rather than sweet girl. And my oh my do savoury toasts really hit the spot. I can not get enough of these! So god damn delicious, easy, filling and not to mention super healthy - I cant think of many other quick brekkie options which pack in so much goodness. To be honest, I could eat these for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Savoury breakfast toasts

These toasts might look complicated, or long winded to make, but they are actually perfect for both that quick morning fix and a lazy weekend breakfast. Most of the toppings can be made in advance and are similar to things I would make for midweek lunches to make life that little bit easier. A big batch of roasted tomatoes can be kept in the fridge for jazzing up all sorts of dishes, a teaspoon of herb oil is amazing on almost anything (especially on cold roast chicken for lunch boxes as we found out this week) and roasted squash is a staple in our weekly fridge fill.

You've only got to have some whole milk greek yoghurt, avocado and some feta cheese in the fridge and the possibilities are already endless as any of these toppings can be mixed and matched. Some more savoury toast combinations to inspire you in the morning fugg herehere, and here. T and I are defo gonna try Oh She Glows Cheaters Maple Baked Beans one weekend soon! If you have your own favourite combo's for savoury toasts I'd love to hear them! Enjoy xx


Smashed squash toast with feta and herb oil

Smashed squash toast with feta and herb oil

Roast a batch of squash of your choice (I used crown prince and acorn) with salt, pepper and olive oil. Once cooled mash with the back of a fork to a rough consistency and check the seasoning. Blitz a large handful of fresh green herbs (here I used a mixture of parsley and basil) with 2 tbsp good quality olive oil, a small pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon. Spread a piece of toasted sourdough with the squash puree, crumble over the feta cheese and drizzle with the herb oil. 

Salted yoghurt, cucumber, sultana and walnut toast

Salted yoghurt, cucumber, sultana and walnut toast

Mix approx 4 tbsp full fat greek yoghurt with salt and pepper to taste and a splash of good quality olive oil. Spread the yoghurt on a piece of toasted sourdough, top with ribbons or slices of cucumber, sultana's, chopped walnuts, a splash of olive oil and a sprinkle of maldon sea salt.

Salted yoghurt with roasted tomatoes and spiced butter

Salted yoghurt with roasted tomatoes and spiced butter

Roast a tray of halved cherry tomatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper. Mix approx 4 tbsp full fat greek yoghurt with salt and pepper to taste and a splash of good quality olive oil. Heat a small pan with a large knob of butter, add half a tsp of cayenne pepper and 2tsp paprika until melted and foaming. Spread the yoghurt on a piece of tasted sourdough, top with the tomatoes and drizzle with the melted butter.

Avo on toast with line, feta and spiced butter

Avo on toast with lime, feta and spiced butter

Heat a small pan with a large knob of butter, add half a tsp of cayenne pepper and 2tsp paprika until melted and foaming. Smash half an avocado on top of a piece of toasted sourdough, squeeze over some lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Crumble over some feta cheese and drizzle with spiced butter, or if you don't have time to make the spiced butter, just add a squidge of Sriracha.

0 comments:

Post a Comment